Jul 09, 2023

Coming to Canada With Your Family

See table of contents

You're reading this because it's either you already have a job offer and you are preparing for you work permit application, or you already have been approved with a work permi.

Either way. Congratulations!!!

Now here's how you can bring you family with you to Canada.


Starting today, January 30, 2023, spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a work permit holder who works in a job at all skill level (TEER Category 0-5) are eligible to apply for an open work permit.

Spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a student permit holder is also eligible.

Who is not eligible at this time?

If the Foreign National work under below categories, their spouses and dependents are not eligible at this time:

OWP - How to Apply

Options for your dependent children:

Your dependent children may also apply to come with you to Canada as either one of the following

If they are at least 18 years old and would want to work, then they would also need to apply for an Open Work Permit.

Open Work Permit

If they are at least 5 years old and they need to go to school, then they need to apply for a student permit.

Student Permit (To Be Written)

If they are below 5 years old, then they can't go to school yet. Hence, they would need to apply for a visitors visa.

Visitor Visa

If you need to, you can leave your toddler or infant at a Child Care center. But unlike going to school, sending them to a child care center isn't free. Check in google for more accurate estimated cost for child care.

Google- How much is childcare in Canada

Please note:

When applying for a permit for your spouse, common-law partner, or dependents, it is commonly advised that you wait for the principal applicant to start work and receive at least 3 pay-stubs before submitting your application. Once the principal applicant is settled in Canada, it increases the chance of his or her family’s application getting approved.

On the other hand, you may also submit the application the same you submit the principal applicant's application. Specially if you are confident that your application can be approved.

When should you be confident?

If you have enough funds, then you don't need to wait for pay stubs to show proof that you can move to Canada smoothly.

How much is enough funds?

There's no real actual reference but my rule of thumb is around 5,000CAD for the spouse or common-law partner, and additional 2,500CAD for each dependent. If you have this, in my opinion, you can be confident in submitting your application, the same time as your spouse.

Alternatively, if the principal's applicant's salary is above the median wage, then you can also be confident about your application.

Open Work Permit

If eligible, your spouse or dependent child can come with you to Canada on an open work permit. This means that he or she don't need a job offer to apply for this work permit. He or she can may come with you, and look for a job once he or she is in Canada.


The requirements for an open work permit is almost the same as for the employer-specific work permit. Here's the list of possible requirements.


How to Apply

To apply is pretty simple.

  1. Log in to your exisitng GCKey Portal or to the New Portal. You may use the principal's account, or create and use a new one.
  2. Start a new application:
  3. Answer a few questions and you'll see something like this:
  4. Click continue, fill up the forms, and submit the requirements.

It is actually that easy. If I really need to be more clear, then just let me know in the comment section.

OWP - After you apply

Make sure to regularly check your account for an update.

If you didn't take an upfront medical exam, IRCC will message you requesting you to take the medical exam as well. It may be followed by a biometrics request or after the biometrics. Either way is fine.

Once you receive a biometric request, book your appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.

After biometrics, (and other requirements if any), all you need to do is wait for the result.

Providing biometrics is just one of the requirements, and does NOT mean that you'll have a higher chance of getting your visa approved.


Processing time

Once you've submitted your application, for sure you're wondering how long the application will take. Click the link below and just answer the questions as per below.

Check processing time

Please correct the entry based on where you are applying from.

Please take note that this processing time tells you how long it takes to complete most applications. Meaning it is based on past completed applications and kung gano katagal inaabot in average.

Your application can take longer or faster depending on how easy it is to assess your application.

Your processing time starts the day you've submitted your application. The processing time does not include the time you need to comply with medical examination, biometrics and if there's additional documents requried.

The processing time may also vary depending on how many applcations IRCC receives.

Frequently Asked Questions

Kelan pwedeng mag apply ng SOWP?

As soon as you are eligible, you can apply immidiately.

To make it more clear, dapat pasok ka muna sa eligibility requirements mentioned in this article. Then you can submit your SOWP (including any other dependent's pass/permit/visa) either together with the main applicant's application, or after he/she submitted the application.

May mga consultant/agency nagsasabi na dapat hintayin muna daw makarating ng Canada si main applicant?

That's ONLY an advice and not an eligibility requirement. Again, you may submit your application as soon as you become eligible.

PERO chances of getting approved is higher if nasa Canada na si main applicant. Much higher if three months and tapos na probation period ni main applicant. And you should wait if mababa or wala kayong POF.

If you are confident enough that you can settle well in Canada, financially, emotionally and physically, without immidiately landing a job (cause that is a possibility), then I suggest you don't wait and mas magandang sama sama na dumating sa Canada as a Family.

Nag apply si main applicant through consultant. Do we need to use the same GCKey account na ginamit for his/her application?

No. You can create and use another GCKey acocunt for your family's application.

How much is kailangang proof of funds for Spousal OWP?

There's no real actual reference but my rule of thumb is around 5,000CAD for the spouse or common-law partner, and additional 2,500CAD for each dependent

In fact, POF is not actually a requirement. It is more like a supporting document to show how well you can settle in Canada. The more funds you have, the higher the success rate is.

If the main applicant's salary is enough, then you can have a successful application even without POF.

How much is enough? Again, there's no real concrete basis. Instead, check how much your possible living expenses will be, and compare it with the main applicant's income.

Is education free for my children sa Canada?

Education in Public Schools are free, BUT you have to be at least 5 years old to qualify as a student.

Children below 5years old can go to a child care center for a FEE.

How much? Please use google as it depends on the province and it can change from time to time. Better yet, email and/or talk to the childcare centers in your area for an accurate list of fee.

Pano makakuha ng LOA for my dependents to apply for SP?

You are NOT required to provide an LOA for applying for Student Permit for your minors. Just make a letter of explanation. Un ang iupload mo in lieu of the LOA

See related post

My partner is currently unemployed. Okay lang ba yun?

They are not so strict regarding the current employment status nor the employment history ng SOWP. Pero if both of you has low employment opportunity sa home country, then that would be a concern.

Anyway, as far as I know, they are more concerned on how well you can adapt once you moved to Canada and how likely you are willing to go back home once you’ve finished your stay

Related articles:

I hope you found valuable information in our website. I've been investing a lot of my time to create this website and help as much as I can.

I want to do this for as long as I can! Your support in buying me a coffee can help me achieve this and help more people.

Support this website. Buy me a coffee.

to top

© Filipino Aspirants All Rights Reserved 2023

The information in this page is copyright protected and you can't use them for any profitable use. Please also note that I am a one man team working on this page. It may be possible that the information in this website is outdated or maybe not accurate anymore. You can find a date at the bottom right corner of the featured image. That's the date of the last update and that's the best way to tell how accurate the information in this website is. Even with that being said, I am in NO way legally licensed to give you immigration advice. Everything that is written in this website is purely based on my opinion and experience only. You are responsible for your own decisions. ALSO: I will highly appreciate it if you can help me with the updates by leaving a comment. Hope to see you in Canada!