Feb 18, 2023

Foreign Workers - Which Visa to Apply?

See table of contents

If you're here, then you probably already know the reasons why work and move to Canada. And if you’re a Filipino and have decided you want to pursue this pathway already, then you’re in the right place because this guide is tailored JUST FOR YOU!

But before anything else, let me introduce you to the TEER System.

Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities (TEER) system.

If you already know what NOC is, it's worth mentioning na last Nov 16, 2022, they switched and started using the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). If you don't know what NOC is yet, you don't really need to know, but maybe worth knowing na rin. So you can relate if you're talking to someone who still uses the old system. Anyway, what's important for you is to understand the latest one.

The table below is just copied from that link that I mentioned.

If nahihirapan kang intindihin, basically, TEER 0-3 are usually the occupations na kailangan nag tuloy ka pa ng pag aaral mo after mo matapos ng highschool.

TEER 4-5 are the ones na high school graduare or lower. Sorry if my definition is offensive. Please do suggest, sa comment section, if there's a better way to define TEER 4-5. Anyway, my definition is super simplified and there may be some exeptional cases.

Find your job title, code and TEER

Click on the link above and scroll to the bottom to find this table. Then follow the instruction and search for your Class title.

Take note of your TEER Category and NOC Code since you'll need it a lot.

Work Permit

It is actually called Employer-Specific Work Permit. Nakasanayan na nga lang sabihin na work permit na lang. I need to clarify that because there are two types of work permit, and I'll discuss the other one after this.

I think it's already obvious but I'll say it anyway. You will need to find an employer, who'll give you a "valid" job offer, before you can apply for this permit.

And since this is "Employer-Specific" dun ka lang sa employer na un mismo pwedeng magtrabaho during the duration of your contract. You're not even allowed to work part time jobs as well.

And yes, the job offer needs to be "valid", meaning you need to be well suited for the job. You’ll have to prove that you have the experience and you need to have all other requirements like LMIA, educational background, certification and/or license required. And all of those, we are going to talk about in the succeeding guides.

But for now, let's talk about open work permit.

Open Work Permit

If you're a spouse, common-law partner or dependent of someone who is studying(or will be studying), working, or just received a job offer and will be applying for an employer-specific work permit, then you may be qualified to apply for an open work permit.

But first, what is an Open Work Permit?

An open work permit lets you fly to Canada and allows you to work for any employer, except for an employer:

  • who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with conditions, or
  • who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.

You read that right. You do NOT need a job offer prior to applying for an open work permit. Instead, you can come to Canada with your partner, and look for a job after you land there. You are still also allowed to look for a job prior moving to Canada, if that’s your plan.

If your partner is an International Student

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec. To be eligible, the student must be in a post-graduation work permit-eligible program of study.

Your work permit won’t be valid longer than your spouse’s or common-law partner’s study permit.

If your partner or parent is a Foreign Worker

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re a

  • spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a work permit holder who
    • works in a job of any Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities (TEER) category (0 to 5), or
    • is the principal applicant and has an open work permit (example: post-graduation work permit holders at all skill levels)
  • spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of an economic classes permanent resident applicant who holds a work permit
Who is not eligible at this time?

If the Foreign National work under below categories, their spouses and dependents are not eligible at this time:

To summarize this guide, you may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you're spouse, or common-law partner is studying(or will be studying), working, or just received a job offer and will be applying for an employer-specific work permit.

How to apply for an Open Work Permit

Else, you need an employer and a valid job offer to apply for an employer-specific work permit, which we will just call “work permit” from now on. And since you need a job offer, our next guide will help you where to look for a job.

I hope you found valuable information in our website. I've been investing a lot of my time to create this website and help as much as I can.

I want to do this for as long as I can! Your support in buying me a coffee can help me achieve this and help more people.

Support this website. Buy me a coffee.

to top

© Filipino Aspirants All Rights Reserved 2023

The information in this page is copyright protected and you can't use them for any profitable use. Please also note that I am a one man team working on this page. It may be possible that the information in this website is outdated or maybe not accurate anymore. You can find a date at the bottom right corner of the featured image. That's the date of the last update and that's the best way to tell how accurate the information in this website is. Even with that being said, I am in NO way legally licensed to give you immigration advice. Everything that is written in this website is purely based on my opinion and experience only. You are responsible for your own decisions. ALSO: I will highly appreciate it if you can help me with the updates by leaving a comment. Hope to see you in Canada!